Wednesday, June 24, 2009

BitterSweet



Sometimes life is bittersweet. As I was sorting through some of my pics tonight, trying to get somewhat organized I came across this sweet picture of Dallin, and Kate. Dallin is my sweetheart. He has always remembered to kiss me when saying goodbye. He is the one to always give me a hug and say I love you.... just because. He's always checking on me to make sure I'm happy, flashing me that darling grin of his, dimples and all.

But.......today, as we were leaving the swimming pool, for the first time in my life as a mother I had a child tell me he hated me, and yes it was Dallin. I was shocked. All over a stinkin' snow cone that I said no to. I just couldn't take the whining and complaining anymore, and so I said no. When I heard that word fly, I couldn't help it... I started to cry. Hence the bitter part of life.

After a long drive home in silence, a bucket of weeds to pull for each of them (for the whining and complaining), and lots of apologies (Dallin had lots of remorse and I'm pretty sure.... regret), the night ended with kindness, no fighting, I love you's, and happiness. Life is sweet......at least for tonight.


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Keri said...

You've had a pretty long run for never hearing that yet. Spencer's said it under his breath a few times, but that's one thing they know I won't put up with. Yes, it's bittersweet, isn't it? Just be glad you get a lot more hugs and kisses than "I hate you's." You're a great mom...your kids are so lucky. :)

Jamie said...

I "hate" to say it Misty...but remember when we were younger? Ummmm...okay, we will just not mention THAT! *snicker*

Remember this though...when your kids say "I hate you", what it really means is that you are a GREAT Mom and doing your job! My kids DO say it and I just respond by saying "I LOVE you!" It is so great to see their confused little faces and in the end...they ALWAYS regret what they said! You handled it PERFECTLY though, Dallin is such a sweet little guy and you gave him just what he needed....to see your sensitivity to his remark!

There will be many more "I hate you"'s to come in the future...just be strong and know that you MUST be doing something right!

Gigi's Thimble said...

I'm sure he felt so bad seeing you cry! Dallin is a sweetie and believe me, I know Blake has thought that many times about me. I can see it in his eyes sometimes, if he hasn't said it already!?! Well, we're not here to let them walk all over us, right? You did good!

When are we doing lunch or breakfast? How about one of these next Saturdays?